Exchanging Data with Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries
If you choose to go the Self-Distributor route, you will also need to ensure that you have a current computer that will communicate with the Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries system. Following are the steps you need to follow to set up this data exchange.
If you don’t have expertise in creating or processing the data files required for the system set-up; or you find automating file transfers using SFTP a challenge, you may want to engage a consultant familiar with these processes to help you out.
*Please note the entire process to get set up on the Liquor & Lotteries system takes approximately 4-6 weeks (allow 2-3 weeks for setup, followed by 2-3 weeks for testing).
System Setup Instructions for New Self-Distributors
- The first thing you need to ensure is that you have the equipment required for the data exchange. You will need:
- Any current model computer (PC or Mac)
- A Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) Client installed on your computer. The SFTP client is used to transfer data electronically between you and Liquor & Lotteries. Some examples of SFTP clients are FileZilla and WebSCP.
- Internet access - be prepared to provide us with your static IP address for our firewall setup.
- Once you have your equipment and are ready to get started, please contact the Liquor & Lotteries Service Desk by phone at (204)957-2500 ext. 3971 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Liquor & Lotteries will then provide you with an electronic communication package for private beer distributors. In it, you will find specific information about the process, like the file format and the file transfer information that is required for set up. Getting set up on the Liquor & Lotteries system can take up to two weeks after we've received your required information.
- Once your system is in place and connected with the Liquor & Lotteries system, Liquor & Lotteries’ Application Services (AS) Support department (AS_Support@mbll.ca) will conduct testing to ensure that everything is working at both ends. Here’s what to expect:
- AS Support staff will work with you or your technical person to ensure communications between the systems are successful and that the file layouts are correct. At this time, you will be provided with SFTP credentials (IP address, user name, & password). Please note this cursory level testing with our IT department takes approximately one to two weeks.
- Once everything is set up on the technology side and all cursory level tests are successful (per 3.a. above), Liquor & Lotteries’ staff in the Purchasing, Finance, and Distribution areas will work with you over an additional 1-2 weeks to ensure:
- items are set up consistently between both you and Liquor & Lotteries;
- customer information can be added, updated, and deleted;
- submitted full and empty return files can be processed by Liquor & Lotteries;
- submitted orders can be accepted and processed by Liquor & Lotteries.
- The setup is now complete and you are ready to electronically communicate with Liquor & Lotteries.